Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy regarding Network Access/Admission Control (NAC)

From: Cathy Hubbs <hubbs () AMERICAN EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:29:24 -0400

At American University we use NAC for our wired, wireless, and VPN
connections. We accomplished this by educating our users that everyone
needs to be healthy to have a healthy network and using the phrase Network
Health Check, it didn't hurt that our timing of introducing the NAC
solution was during the days of big bad virulent worm infections. That
phrase and language  (not the technology name) was embedded into a
University level Policy.  See excerpt below:

Network ?Health Check?
All computers connected to the AU network are required to undergo an
automated evaluation to determine if certain software settings and
applications are correctly installed and operational. As a result of this
evaluation, the user may be required to install new software or
reconfigure existing software before unlimited network access is granted.
Access to Internet resources needed to accomplish any required upgrades
will be permitted. The university will not access or modify software or
information stored on personally owned equipment without permission of the
owner? however, access to the AU network may be denied or limited unless
these policies are complied with fully.

We also have  more general user information on our website at
http://www.american.edu/oit/network/CCA.cfm

Hope this helps some.

Cathy Hubbs, CISSP, CISA, CGEIT
Chief Information Security Officer
Office of Information Technology
American University

"King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
07/15/2009 01:28 PM
Please respond to
The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>

SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [SECURITY] Policy regarding Network Access/Admission Control (NAC)

As would I.

Ronald King
Security Engineer
Norfolk State University
Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research
Suite 401
700 Park Ave.
Norfolk, Virginia  23504
Phone:  757-823-3918