Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Higher Education Opportunity Act & Peer-to-Peer File Sharing

From: Chris Kidd <chris.kidd () UTAH EDU>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:17:37 -0600

...this isn't really a security question, but it ended up in my lap. I'm wondering how other educational institutions
are meeting this requirement from the HEOA:

"The University ... will, to the extent practicable, offer alternatives to illegal downloading or peer-to-peer
distribution of intellectual property, as determined by the institution in consultation with the chief technology
officer."

We were pointing students to Ruckus, but it's now out of business.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Chris

Chris Kidd, CISSP, IAM, CIPP/G, CHP, ITIL
Chief Information Security and Privacy Officer
Information Security and Privacy Office
650 Komas Drive, Suite 102
Salt Lake City, UT 84108
Office: 801.587.9241