Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Small Kiosk Computers - Recommendations?

From: "Calcutt, Andrew" <Andrew.Calcutt () WORCESTER EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:30:48 -0400

I tried out the JackPC a few months ago as part of a notification screen
project. They seemed to work really well for me. I set it up to
automatically log into a terminal server and automatically bring up my
notification website. Once the devices were mounted into a jack they
require a key to removed them.

The devices do have a built in browser, and can be set to automatically
bring the browser up on boot. In my case I was not able to use the built
in browser because I wanted support for flash, but if you're just using
it for payments I think it would be fine.

I went through dell because they are a chippc reseller and we already
work with them. They sent us out a demo unit for free(the originally
wanted a deposit, but dell got It shipped without one)

I definitely recommend giving the JackPC a shot. Small form factor, low
power, easily mountable, POE. They are great for kiosks as far as I
could tell.

Andrew Calcutt
Information Technologies
Worcester State College