Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Small Kiosk Computers - Recommendations?

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 08:06:49 -0400

Michael J. Wheeler wrote:
We are in the process of implementing CashNet to outsource our campus
credit card processing. Part of this project involves buying a 2-3 small
kiosk devices to run a web browser for people to pay their bills online, so
that we won't be physically handling their cards.

We're currently looking at the JackPC from chippc.com because it looks to
be a very small, neat, and easily secured device. Their website (I know,
never trust a salesman) says that the devices are 100% secured from viruses
and worms, and they require no security patches.

Does anyone have experience with devices such as these? We're looking for
something that can easily be physically secured, as well as a secure OS.
Since the device will only be running a web browser, we'd like something
that is as simple as possible. These JackPC devices say they have a bare OS
with only a web browser if you wish.

I'm sure there's got to be someone else out there who has gone through
something similar to this. Any thoughts/recommendations would be greatly
appreciated.

When we needed something like this in our Student Accounts office, I
just set up an old all-in-one PC (a Gateway Profile, I believe) with a
copy of Ubuntu and set it to launch Firefox in full-screen. If you've
got old hardware lying around that would be usable, this might work for you.

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu