Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical Security During Construction?

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:19:23 -0400

Charlie Prothero wrote:
UPS units and phone/voicemail cabinets make great workbenches, too,
don't they!  We have a crew in our place now, installing a new AC
unit.  I kept close watch on them for a while, but once it became
obvious that they know how to behave in a data center, I backed
off...

"Trust, but verify," to coin a phrase ;-)

Last summer we overhauled our library's main floor into a large space
with tables for computer connections, the obligatory coffee shop, etc.
etc. Providing power and data connections where the catalog used to be
entailed a lot of concrete coring, and our data center was right beneath
this space!

The contractor doing the work bent over backwards developing a technique
(involving a bucket duct-taped to the end of a shop-vac hose, among
other things) of coring the ceiling without releasing lots of dust or
water. Overall, it went well, but they also knew we were nervous,
concerned, and watching.

I began our discussion by pointing to a rack and telling them, "that
machine right there is what prints your checks, so if you want to be
paid..."

--
Celebrating the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of
Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"I am endlessly fascinated that playing football is considered a
training ground for leadership, but raising children isn't." -- Dee Dee
Myers.