Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical Security During Construction?

From: Bill Terry <wterry () BARD EDU>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:30:43 -0400

All -
While I generally agree with Hugh's list, below, one may find that
escorting workers in and out may be unmanagable.
That being the case you may consider - vendors and sub-contractors need
to be on-board with the list below - perhaps signing an agreement as
part of the contract.  Depending on the size of the job, foremen and /
or all workers could have a temp ID for data center door(s).  You may
consider getting the workers to wear picture company IDs and wear shirts
that identify the company.

Accidents will happen, not just with vendors.  I have seen skilled
electricians and HVAC teams, working for our institution and extremely
familiar with our equipment and procedures, bring down entire large data
centers.  While such events are not encouraged, they certainly can be a
chance to test and review emergency operations and disaster recovery.
Planning, communication (both ways), understanding, and humor are key.
Also pays to identify contact personnel for the project including
computer center, Facilities/B&G/ and the vendor as well as campus security.

I've led or participated in three or four of these and am starting
another.  With adequate planning, communication (both ways),
understanding, and humor, most happen without a hitch.

Bill Terry
Bard College

Hugh Burley wrote:
Availability has been the most significant risk I have seen with
construction workers over the years.  Accidental power and cooling
disruptions being the two I have personally experienced.

I think the most important things to ensure are that you are aware of
who is on-site, when they are entering and leaving the data centre,
what they are doing, and that all workers entering the data centre are
aware that they are working in a fragile environment. IT staff should
escort workers in and out of the data centre, especially first thing
in the morning and at the end of the day.

Things construction workers need to be told:
Anyone entering the data centre must be bondable
Anyone touching any console will be barred from future access to the
data centre
Only IT staff may move network, and server hardware or peripherals
Use utility power not data centre power for tools (ensure these are
clearly marked)
Ensure dust and metal particles are kept separate from servers
(plastic barriers should be in place)
Ensure the data centre is professionally cleaned (daily if possible
during construction)
Ensure that servers, data cables, and power cables are
not accidentally bumped
Ensure that no changes to power are done without a full explanation to
and approval from IT
Ensure that room temperature is maintained or systems are shut down
prior to A/C disruptions
Ensure IT staff are available for system startup and shutdown

Hugh Burley
Thompson Rivers University
ITS - Senior Technology Coordinator
Information Security
BCCOL - 222D
250-852-6351

>>> "Michael J. Wheeler" <mwheeler () PITTSTATE EDU> 22/08/2009 9:29 am >>>
We will be undertaking a construction project in our datacenter. The
doors
to the data center are currently protected by PROX-locks.  Walls will be
built, new A/C system installed, as well as new electrical wiring.
Obviously, this will be a project that runs over a relatively long period
of time -- especially with the requirement that we maintain operations
during the construction.

Has anyone gone through a similar project while keeping the data
center up
and running? How do you handle the physical security while construction
workers are coming in and out?

We had planned on issuing them PROX-cards that were only good during
business hours and making them swipe every time they came in. But, what
about while they are in there working? We do not have cameras in the data
center, and I can't imagine having an FTE dedicated to sitting in
there and
'babysitting' them for the duration of the project.

Do you just intrinsically trust your contractors, their sub-contractors,
and sometimes their sub-contractors? General security practices say "heck
no!", but I was wondering what others have done in this scenario.

--
Michael J. Wheeler
Assistant Director, Systems and Networking