Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Self Service Password Resets

From: Timothy Payne <tpayne1 () MACALESTER EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:45:58 -0500

We require the person calling in to contact the Registrar's Office
(for students) or Employment Services (for staff and faculty), who
will verify their identity using PII such as their SS number and
address.  We make this as easy as possible for the user by
transferring the call and personally handing them off to a live
person.  Within a few minutes, they are transferred back and after the
Registrar or ES staff confirms that the caller is who they claim to
be, we take the call back and reset the password.

This is our first year doing this, and we are working out the bumps as
we go along.

Tim Payne, CISSP, CISM, CCNA
Network Administrator
Macalester College