Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSH dictionary attack dictionary

From: Andrew Daviel <advax () TRIUMF CA>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:26:13 -0700

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Brad Edmondson wrote:

Interesting project - how did you filter out off-by-one typos so that
you couldn't deduce your legitimate users' passwords?  Outside
honeypots, it would seem difficult to collect even failed passwords
and still retain the same level of trust from your users.

I don't filter, only correct ones. It's only on my desktop machine so
there is basically only myself. I can zap the logfile if I make a typo,
and the passwords are not logged centrally. I certainly recommend caution
doing this, though - it's putting a security hole in sshd.

Only 600?  :-)

The 600 root (unique password) attempts was all I saw on the one machine.
There may have been others - however, I suspect they try the same dictionary on all.
The attack starts with root, then goes through the common accounts, then
tries a-z. A previous attack I logged a while ago had a much larger
baby-name list, again starting with root and going through a-z over a
period of a few days.

These were from a single attacking host.
Earlier this year we had a distributed SSH attack that didn't trigger
denyhosts because it didn't fail enough per source address.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)