Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSH dictionary attack dictionary

From: Bruce Curtis <bruce.curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:02:29 -0500

On Aug 10, 2009, at 5:57 PM, Andrew Daviel wrote:

I used to think these attempts were harmless given the throttling
used by sshd, until we had a test server hit that was using
"qazwsxedc".

suggested mitigations include moving SSH off of port 22, dynamic
blocking of guessing hosts (our approach), disabling password logins
for root (but allowing keys), tunnelling everything through VPNs
etc. etc.

  Native transport mode IPsec is also an option.  Or even the
experimental Host Identity Protocol (HIP).

  http://www.openhip.org/about.html

  A quote from the article below.

"With this configuration, we will no longer accept any non-IPsec
packets fromguest.example.org, and will also send only IPsec packets
to that host. Now that's what I call real network security."

  Some other IPsec links.

  http://www.kame.net/newsletter/20001119/

  http://slackbasics.org/html/ipsec.html

  http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2005/11/19/ipsec-transport-mode-with-x509-certificates/

  http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.ipsec.html

  http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.ipsec.automatic.keying.html

  http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man8/setkey.8.html#/
/apple_ref/doc/man/8/setkey

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/Manpages/man8/racoon.8.html#/
/apple_ref/doc/man/8/racoon

---
Bruce Curtis                         bruce.curtis () ndsu edu
Certified NetAnalyst II                701-231-8527
North Dakota State University