Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing stats

From: Matthew Wollenweber <mjw () CYBERWART COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 22:42:27 -0400

I'm new to the academic scene, but having been a consultant --
primarily a pen tester we often had 60% success rates during phishing
exercises. Results generally started coming back within 15 minutes.
Filters occassionally caused problems, but that just meant we tweaked
a little.  I can't recall a phishing campaign that ever failed to
enable some level of access.

The best advice is to assume you have many users compromised by
phishing fairly regularly. With that assumption try to build security
mechinisms to respond to and mitigate the damage.