Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA Settlement letter from Video Protection Alliance Services, LLC

From: Eva <elorenz () EMAIL UNC EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:42:33 -0400

We received a couple of settlement letters from the same group. Per our
policy, we advise the involved party that this is a settlement letter,
but due to the recent nature of this campaign (I believe Google did
reveal an online news item from May of this year announcing the
settlement campaign), we do not have any track history with the group
and can not provide guidance as to the amount of settlement required or
their process in general. Sorry, but I can not provide any further
information as to whether anyone took them up on their settlement offer.
I do know that we received second notices, suggesting that no one took
them up on their settlement offer after the first letter.
I saw this question pop up on at least two listservs and the amount of
settlement seemed to vary as did the opinion regarding the legitimacy of
this group.

Mayne, Jim wrote:
We recently received a DMCA settlement letter from

Video Protection Alliance Services, LLC
PO Box 322
Cream Ridge, NJ 08514-0322
United States
+1-866-251-2631

Has anyone else received something from this group? We actually received letters with two different from addresses, one 'copyright ()
videoprotectionalliance com' and one 'copyright () getamnesty com'.

They have a professional web site with a ssl certificate issued by Verisign but how can one really tell a legitimate
letter from a scam? How do you know they are really acting on behalf of a legitimate copyright holder?

Jim