Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking E-Mail Attachment Types

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 16:07:47 +1200

we use unix 'file' to determine type of file and block executables,
including in zips.  We also block password protected zips (you will
remember that fad!).

To allow users a way around this i.e. to be able to send and receive
legit executables we implemented
 http://webdropbox.auckland.ac.nz

This is now a popular way of moving large files around -- the size
limit is 1BG (IIRC).

Russell