Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking E-Mail Attachment Types

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 10:24:11 -0500

We don't block any.  We rename the attachment and add a warning to the
body of the message if the attachment is executable or it is a archive
that contains an executable.  This works great at stopping undetected
malware, and users appreciate not having legitimate messages blocked.

http://kb.wisc.edu/wiscmail/page.php?id=6056

Jesse Thompson
UW-Madison

Steve Lewis wrote:
Hi All,

Forgive me if you've already seen this on another list...

Does anyone here block specific e-mail file attachment types? I'm
curious to see how common (or uncommon) this practice is.

Thanks,
Steve Lewis
Lehigh University LTS

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison