Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HITECH Breach Notifications - NIST Required or Safe Harbor?

From: Doug Markiewicz <dmarkiew+educause () ANDREW CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:58:13 -0400

I see compliance with NIST guidance as merely a safe harbor against
notification.  The Security Rule lists encryption as an 'addressable'
control which leaves you room to implement other mitigating controls if
encryption isn't feasible.  However, since the Security Rule and the Breach
Rule both reference NIST documentation, aligning with NIST encryption
guidance would certainly be advisable if you don't have other mitigating
controls in place.  You don't have to read too far between the lines to see
that HHS likes them some NIST.  Working through how best to define our own
institutional requirements, I think they've taken a pretty solid approach in
terms of being flexible while still trying to drive some change.