Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Does anyone ask individuals to reimburse the cost of lost laptops?

From: Jerry Sell <Jerry_Sell () BYU EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 16:19:46 -0600

I think there are two issues to consider here. First, to be legally sound, you must have some kind of signed form
stating that the employee knows they will be charged for lost or damaged equipment.

Secondly, the proof that negligence was involved must be solid and may be hard to obtain.

I think that a better solution may be to make the process of obtaining a replacement as painful as possible. I also
agree that the more important question is what data has been lost. This can be far more damaging than the loss of the
purchase price of a laptop.

Thank you,

Jerry Sell, CISSP
Security Analyst