Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Tracking NAT users

From: Kevin Halgren <kevin.halgren () WASHBURN EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:53:23 -0500

I've been looking into a solution for effectively tracking users who are
behind our NAT so that we can effectively respond to DMCA and other
complaints that often come in days after the incident, but haven't found
a really good way of doing it so far.  I'd like to know what others are
using for this.

We are currently using a Cisco ASA to manage the NAT translations, but
aren't necessarily married to that solution if there is a better
alternative.

I'd also be interested in alternative solutions you may have chosen,
such as moving to IPv6 to ensure address space and if that has resolved
the issue for you entirely.

Thanks,

Kevin

--
Kevin Halgren
Assistant Director - Systems and Network Services