Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Implications of Jail breaking ipod/iphones

From: Guy Pace <gpace () SBCTC EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:53:51 -0700

Some time back, we had a jailbroken iPhone play havoc with a campus wireless network. It evidently had an alternative
OS installed that was compromised or something and caused enough disruption that it affected administrative activities
on portions of the network.

My main issues with jailbroken iPhones, or any device that has been hacked beyond the manufacturer's firmware and OS is
that it tends to introduce unstable and unpredictable behavior to the network. The devices are no longer able to get
security and system updates from the vendor, and untested or suspect applications may be installed and run on them.

It isn't that skilled and knowledgeable geeks can't jailbreak a device and make it stable or secure. It is that the
average user, following a set of cobbled together instructions or using downloaded tools from questionable sources,
will likely create a jailbroken device that has a lot of unknown, potentially dangerous issues.

This could then be introduced to your network.

While there are critics of Apple's approach to locking up the iPhone and how it functions, I have to grudgingly give
them credit for keeping the non-jailbroken device reasonably secure and stable to date.

The iPhone, as opposed to some of the other smartphone devices, is more of a platform and should be treated as such in
the enterprise. Just as a desktop, laptop or other platform device can be made to work with various operating systems
and leveraged to be used in good and bad ways, so can the iPhone. It isn't against the law to jailbreak them. As
mentioned in another post, CSI has a benchmark document for the iPhone and other devices will follow.

Look to your policy and standards. If you require desktop systems to have regular patches and updates, that should be
required for the iPhone or similar device as well. If encryption or passwords are required, that should apply to the
iPhone (there are tools available).

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Information Technology Division
WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-803-9724
gpace () sbctc edu