Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Verizon spam black list help

From: Eme Ejike <eejike () ODU EDU>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:50:41 -0400

Gary,
Not a direct answer, and you might already be implementing this but if
thats not the case here is a good suggestion.

Preferable you should have a way of rotating your outbound smtp gateway.
(This helps if its not a domain block put IP based block that was placed
on you)
We have a couple of servers defined on our MX records however, at any
given time we only have one configured for outbound mail. When we have
an issue where we get blacklisted, we initially rotate what server
performs this function. Subsequently, we request to get dropped off the
list. I hope this strategy works for you.

Eme Ejike
System Security Officer
Office of computing and communicating services
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, VA 23529