Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: A Real-Time malware antivirus console

From: Curt Wilson <curtw () SIU EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:13:43 -0500

Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:20:54 CDT, Curt Wilson said:

I've gotten into the philosophy of treating anti-virus as a detection
and notification system that a box needs a more in-depth analysis. In a
large organization, this rapidly scales into a huge resource issue though.

"Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Somewhat snarky, but it's the only realistic way to avoid the "huge resource
issue" if you're relying on reactive security schemes rather than proactive
ones, in combination with wide-open von Neumann system designs where injected
data becomes executable code all too easily.

Having said that, no, I don't have a ready-for-Joe-Sixpack alternative.

Not only injected data becoming code but injected trickery turns into
injected code when a PEBCAK issue is utilized in the fault injection
process.

Nuking from orbit leaves important questions unanswered though. I
suppose in some cases that's perfectly acceptable.

Relying on reactive security schemes?! Never! All of us in .edu-land are
ALWAYS able to get the staff and other resources to implement proactive
security schemes, right? :>

--
Curt Wilson
SIUC IT Security Officer & Security Engineer