Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Postini.

From: "Daly, Douglas" <DDALY () NYMC EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:18:56 -0400

We've been using Postini for almost two years. We're very happy with the service. Customer Support and ongoing sales
support has suffered since Google bought them but its tolerable. We use only their "ISP" service. That is they watch
inbound SMTP traffic only and will queue messages if we go off line - no archiving or other advanced offerings.

Filtering is good to very good. All services (Yahoo, Gmail, Postini) seem to have suffered a bit lately (Conficker
botnet?). We've seen a bit more spam leaking through lately.

Price is very good. Protecting 4600 mailboxes.

We sync with our AD through a DSML server. We've had a few hiccups with this but, again, overall it works fine. Alias'
(second email addresses) caused some initial set up issues. For precision, we chose to delete user accounts manually.
Currently, if we change the user's primary address, it deletes the old user in Postini (hence all quarantine is lost)
and creates a new user with the new primary address. We then have to update any alias' manually. We're thinking it's
our DSML config (it shouldn't be able to delete a user) but we haven't found this one yet.

Regards,
Douglas Daly
Associate Director,
Technical Services