Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Sanitization

From: James Farr '05' <jfarr () UTICA EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:44:48 -0400

The locked bin is a good solution as long as it is protected.  1 minute on
YouTube will tell you how to pick just about any type of lock.

We set up an old machine that's only purpose is to wipe drives using a
bootable cd  <http://www.dban.org/> Darik's Boot And Nuke.    We use an
outside company for tapes and other media who certify that the data has been
destroyed and disposed of in an eco friendly manner, when possible.

IITS will never ask you for your password unsolicited.  Do not share your
password with others.

James Farr

Information Security Officer

Instructional Technologist