Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Sanitization

From: Marty Hoag <marty.hoag () NDSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 11:02:57 -0500

  Is anyone incinerating their hard drives? Some of the local
vendors do that using industrial (e.g., medical waste)
incinerators. I see it is listed as one method in an NSA
document.   marty

Clifford Collins wrote:
The company that handles our paper shredding also shreds our hard
drives. We have a separate, locked bin that they go in until the truck
shows up. Just like the paper shredding they do on site, they shred the
drives into metal filings on site. It has to be a different truck from
the one for paper shredding because of the magnetic materials that
adhere to the cutters that have to be cleaned off, degaussed, and
sharpened regularly. FYI, the company is Shred-it (http://www.shredit.com/).

Clifford A. Collins
Information Security Officer
Franklin University