Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Domain Controllers: Risks involved

From: Brian Desmond <brian.desmond () MORANTECHNOLOGY COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 19:35:17 -0500

Hi Marmina-

So fundamentally you’re going to have to agree to trust the people who are
your domain admins. Let’s say you apply ACLs to all your data preventing
domain admins from seeing it. As a domain admin I could still go reset the
password of a user in say the Finance department, login with their ID and
access the data they have access to. Or I could add myself to let’s say the
Finance Users group and have access to a folder full of data which is
secured by that group.

So as far as proactive protection here’s a few things I’d aim for:

è Know where your sensitive data is. It should all be on file servers,
Sharepoint servers, a document management system, etc. Sensitive data on
people’s laptops, personal machines, USB thumb drives, etc is just asking
for getting your employer some quality real estate on the front page of the
newspaper one day.

o   Once you know where your sensitive data is you can manage the access to
it with ACLs. The first thing you’d do here is pull the default ACL which
gives domain admins amongst others access and apply a custom ACL. A typical
folder access structure that actually tends to work really well is to have
two groups defined for every file share - <Share> Modify and <Share> Read
where <Share> is the name of the share. I push hard for these standards
based permissions structures because overly complicated permissions add a
lot of support overhead and in my experience you’re going to drastically
increase the skill level requirements of your Wintel admins if you expect
them to support complicated ACLs.

o   Once you have defined baseline permissions you can audit the data with a
script or some other tool on a recurring basis and trap any deviations from
the baseline.

o   If you’re still concerned, setup auditing at the file system level. Use
an event log collection/alerting tool (e.g. Microsoft SCOM & ACS) to trap
audits for suspicious activity (e.g. change of permissions).

è Audit group membership changes in the directory

o   Again use something to collect these security events, alert, and report
on them

è Manage group membership with a self service tool in conjunction with
identity management. Generally speaking the people best equipped to speak
for access to data are the people who own it. Use a workflow/self service
package where users can request access to a group. When the user requests
access to the group an approver (e.g. the owner of the data the group
secures) has to approve it, possibly the approver’s manager, and also
possibly the requestor’s manager.

o   On the flipside, setup access renewal for really sensitive stuff. Every
X months (call it 6) every member of a group has to have their membership
re-approved by the group owner/whoever else. This handles the ever present
problem with people not losing access to data specific to their old job when
they change jobs.

As far as encryption goes, this is a double edged sword in some ways. EFS
(Encrypting File System) works great – it’s native to NTFS and has been
there since Windows 2000. The downside of it is that it’s really not the
easiest thing to support and it will generate support calls. In order to
really do EFS right you’re looking at deploying PKI. There are a very
limited number of people who know how to actually do this right, so to be
quite honest you’re going to want to hire one of those people as a
consultant to set it up, write the support procedures for you, and train
your people. When someone loses access to their data for whatever reason you
use what’s called a recovery agent in EFS which allows you to decrypt the
data without the user’s key. EFS will definitely make it a lot harder for a
determined domain admin to get at the data. That said, I would spend a good
deal of time weighing risk versus reward on this part of the discussion
though (EFS).

Thanks,

Brian Desmond

brian.desmond () morantechnology com