Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Windows Domain Controllers: Risks involved

From: Marmina Abdel Malek <marmina () AUCEGYPT EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:42:30 +0200

Dear All,        I'm assessing the idea of implementing a campus wide domain
controller to include faculty and staff computers, as well as student labs
computers.

I understand all the advantages of centralized management of all the campus
computers, but I have some concerns that I would like to know how did you
react to them:

- Domain admins can access the files of any computer in the domain. How do
you ensure the confidentiality and privacy of users and data?

- In you implementations, do you include the computers of the top
management?

- Do you give faculty and staff, high level access to install applications,
or installation requests have be channeled to the domain admins?

- Is there any tips, recommendations, or lessons learned on implementing a
campus wide domain controller?

Best Regards,
Marmina Abdel-Malek
IT Security Officer