Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Cisco FWSM firewalls and IPv6 Issues

From: "Avdagic, Indir" <indir_avdagic () WSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:49:46 -0800

Recently we got some problems between Cisco FWSM firewalls and IPV6.
We used Business Objects client application (tried to establish the IPv6
tunneled connection through the IPv4 network using Teredo) to connect to
the Business Objects server behind the FWSM firewalls. Initially we were
able establish a brief connection between client and server, but we were
not able to move any traffic between them. After initial connection,
when we tried to refresh the client's browser we lost the connection to
the server. We run network analyzer on both Cisco switch and FWSMs and
concluded that FWSM caused this problem every time when it tried to
return the traffic back to the client.

In addition, during the testing if we run Cisco VPN client on the client
computer we were not able to establish the connection at all.

We contacted Cisco TAC and our case is escalated to the Cisco
development team and still pending the resolution.

We found the temporary solution for this problem by disabling IPV6 on
the Business Objects server and Microsoft Vista clients.

What is your experience with Cisco FWSM firewalls and IPv6?

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Indir Avdagic, CISSP, ACSA, TICSA
Network Security Engineer