Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access to Staff Desktops

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:55:10 -0500

Tim Lane wrote:
We are receiving an increasing number of requests from staff to remotely
access their desktops, for a variety of reasons.

Hi, Tim,
We tend to disallow this access, if for no better reason that everyone runs DHCP here and
finding the endpoint could be tricky...

I take such requests as a sign we're not providing sufficient resources in central IT to
meet the need. They should be able to obtain access to the data, documents, etc they need
securely but without requiring the desktop. Anything that critical should be on my servers
somewhere where we can watch it, back it up, provide UPS, etc.

--
Celebrating the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth,
and the 150th anniversary of the publication of the Origin of Species.

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"News is what somebody somewhere doesn't want you to know.  Everything else is just
publicity." -- Lord North.