Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access to Staff Desktops

From: "Bristol, Gary L." <gbristol () OU EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:41:13 -0600

Actually what we do here at the University of Oklahoma is provide a SSH bastion Host that they connect too.
The Bastion hosts use Kerberos authentication to the domain, so there are no local user accounts on the bastion hosts,
plus all logging from the host is sent to a remote syslog server.
Then we use SSH tunneling to have the users connect to their workstations via Remote Desktop Protocol.
There are several ssh clients that allow this type of tunneling.
We run a Local HIDS system on the Bastion hosts so that multiple log on failures causes the source ip to be entered in
the local iptables with a drop action.

The normal RDP connections are not allowed from the internet and the users workstations are located in isolated subnets.
Remotely accessing their workstations have several benefits, they don't have to have a desktop at home or mobile that
has all their tools loaded.
Any access to sensitive information is kept within the confines of the protected networks.

Gary L. Bristol
CISSP, RHCE
University of Oklahoma
200 Felgar St., Suite 226
Norman, OK 73019

405-325-2236
+ Ranked 10th in PC Magazine's 2007 Top 20 Wired Campuses
+ Computerworld 2006 100 Best Places to Work in IT

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential
and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any
reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this transmission
in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in
its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you