Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Global account name changes

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:07:44 -0600

We let folks choose their own.  They're given an initial suggestion
based upon surname and first initial, but they're free to modify it
once.  An official name change or other reasonable excuse will get them
an additional chance to change it.  Most opt to go with a name-based
username, students tend to work off their given name, fac/staff off
their surname.

- ken

Sandford, Doug wrote:

Have any of you entertained the idea of(or succeeded in) the process
of changing account naming schemes? It seems for years accounts have
been assigned to faculty, staff and students based in part on some
piece of their name i.e., JDOE, DOE001, JOHN.DOE and so forth.

It sounds painful to some and I have been tasked with posing the
question to other institutions for suggestions, experiences, and
potential roadblocks to success. Feel free to respond to me offline if
you wish .

Thanks for your help.

Doug Sandford

University of Alabama

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems