Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Blackboard cross-domain frameset loading

From: "Cheng, Wang" <ChengW () SACREDHEART EDU>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 00:24:12 -0500

First of all Happy New Year to everyone!

We were not aware of this and I had not seen any discussion about this on the list so just in case it is not common
knowledge I wanted to let those schools using Blackboard know that it has a cross-domain frameset loading vulnerability
by which you can load virtually any url into Blackboard's main frame by simply passing the url to
http://[yourblackboardsite.school.edu]/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=//[ANYURL<http://[yourblackboardsite.school.edu]/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=//%5bANYURL>]

i.e.:
https://blackboard.sacredheart.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab=courses&url=//www.amazon.com will load Amazon's home
page into our Blackboard site without any authentication or warning.

After some brief research it appears this vulnerability has existed in some form or another since at least version 6 (I
believe we currently use v8 with the latest app pack).  Some examples: http://secunia.com/advisories/17991/ and
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/15814 which seems to indicate it was patched back in v6.  I hope the "fix" Blackboard
issued was not simply require the addition of "//" to the front of the url passed...

There is still some great potential for session hijacking or phishing scams pretending to be official university sites
under your Blackboard banner.  Something to watch out for.

BR,
    Conrado Wang Cheng Niemeyer
    Information Security Officer
    Sacred Heart University