Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Internet filtering device

From: "Di Fabio, Andrea" <adifabio () NSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:49:51 -0500

We use Squid in transparent mode with SquidGuard.  We had used Dansguardian
for a few years and started running into capacity and growth problems.
SquidGuard performs much better especially coupled with the Squid Setting:

#  TAG: redirector_bypass

#       When this is 'on', a request will not go through the

#       redirector if all redirectors are busy.  If this is 'off'

#       and the redirector queue grows too large, Squid will exit

#       with a FATAL error and ask you to increase the number of

#       redirectors.  You should only enable this if the redirectors

#       are not critical to your caching system.  If you use

#       redirectors for access control, and you enable this option,

#       users may have access to pages they should not

#       be allowed to request.

#

#Default:

# redirector_bypass off