Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

keep email out of spam folders in Yahoo and Google

From: "Robert J. Rutkowski" <Robert.Rutkowski () KEYSTONE EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:31:31 -0500

Hi, I was just wondering how people were handling delivery of emails to
spam folders in Gmail and Yahoo mail from their locally hosted Exchange
servers. We've had an Exchange 2003 server for a while, and I just built
an Exchange 2007 server a few weeks ago. The 07 server immediately took
over all outgoing email, regardless of where the Emailbox resided. This
didn't seem like a problem, we added a DNS record, a reverse DNS record,
and an SPF record that specifies both of our servers.

For some reason I can't keep mail sent from the new server out of the
Spam folder in Gmail. I can, however, send a message from the 03 server,
which travels through the 07 server, to Gmail and not have it end up in
the Spam folder. I tried to research this with Gmail, and even filled
out a form where they were supposed to tell me what the problem was.
They responded telling me that users must have reported us as Spam, and
that we should put a link on mail we send to offer users the ability to
unsubscribe. For starters, we don't mass mail anyone, we direct
Admissions and other areas to third party vendors because I don't want
us to end up on spam lists. Secondly, how can they say mail from my
server was reported as spam, when I own the only mailbox on it and only
emailed myself! Anyway, their response did not help me at all.

As for Yahoo Mail, every message I send, regardless of what server it
comes from or what server sends it out, ends up in the Spam folder. My
research with Yahoo and other sites suggests setting up DomainKeys/DKIM.
Has anyone done this before? Has it worked well? I found this site
(http://www.emailarchitect.net/domainkeys/), that has an app that will
install on the Exchange server, but I know nothing about the company or
whether I'm even headed in the right direction or not.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

Rob

Robert J. Rutkowski