Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS "A Name" Records for Third Party Providers

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:25:23 -0600

We recently had a request for an "A name" record by a third party
provider that is looking for a "seamless" user experience.  We're a
little hesitant to give an ohio.edu name to an external party, and
wanted to find out about other user's experience.  Any caveats, lessons
learned, or experiences that we should watch out for?  Thanks!

We will not do it unless there's a solid contract with the University
essentially making them play by all the rules we follow. I do not do it
if there's personal data collected. We've done it when the site is "read
only".

--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti