Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS "A Name" Records for Third Party Providers

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 08:03:59 -0800

Handy and convenient, yes. Deceptive practice, though. If I were applying to your institution and was redirected
without my knowledge to a third party to enter my private information, I'd find that very disturbing.

If you are dealing with students, this can become more murky, what with FERPA and various state data protection
requirements. Also, are the students participating in this service know that this is hosted by a third party and have
an opportunity to agree to the re-direct? Are they already students, or are these prospects? Adults or still legally
children? Do you have a data sharing agreement with the third-party? Does the third party host the application and
store the data on systems in the US or off-shore?

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator
Information Technology Division
WA State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC)
3101 Northup Way, Suite 100
Bellevue, WA 98004
425-803-9724
gpace () cis ctc edu