Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: P2P control solutions

From: Ray Strubinger <ray.strubinger () OIT GATECH EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:40:53 -0500

Considering what may be in store for higher ed on the copyright front, I
am curious if anyone has asked their General Counsel's office (and is
willing to share on or off list) for an opinion on the use of Audible
Magic or an IPS in the context of the DMCA's Safe Harbor provision.

While an IPS could potentially manage P2P traffic without knowing
anything about the content, Audible Magic claims to be able to
accurately identify content.  Specific knowledge of content would seem
to remove a provider's ability to take advantage of the Safe Harbor
provision.  I've not read anything that indicates the provision remains
intact if the provider uses some method which can identify content so
I'm wondering how others have addressed this.

-Ray

Greg Schaffer wrote:
Greetings,

Sorry, I posted without  a subject originally.  I am looking for a
comprehensive list of P2P illegal copyright share control solutions
available, and preferably reviews of each.  Audible Magic appears to be the
most complete solution for a higher ed environment but there may be another
(or more) available that, from a higher ed perspective, do an even better
job.  I'd also be interested in hearing what solution you chose to implement
(or are considering) and why.  I will post a summary.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Schaffer, CISSP

Assistant Vice President for

Network and Information Technology Security

Information Technology Division

Middle Tennessee State University

615 898-5753

--