Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: malware strategy and products used

From: Dennis Meharchand <dennis () VALTX COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:50:06 -0500

Mark:

Thanks for the observations.
On the Anti-Virus/Spyware question we see no way that a virus or spyware
could on its own infect the system as the S Chip while in normal operation
deflects and wipes out any changes to the boot drive. Almost every new
virus/malware is modified daily (according to Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
companies) so Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware are always out of date. Anti
Malware software we believe to be of some value on Email Gateways to check
all email for known malware. So if new malware is let in via an Email
Gateway attachment - the same out of date anti-virus/anti-malware on the
desktop/notebook does not help. Agreed that occasional scanning with updated
Anti-Malware may be of use. In our environment we update our systems from
key vendors such as Microsoft, Adobe etc. We trust that these vendors are
not sending us malware. In one test honey pot system we found that the
always up to date Anti Virus/Anti Spyware software we used found some really
dangerous spyware - the infection had occurred 9 months earlier - the Anti
Virus/Anti Spyware software website had this to offer "if you've found this
on your system - it's already too late"!! Already too late? What am I paying
for? Our argument for our hardware product then is that as long as you don't
download a Virus/Spyware on your own and install it then you are safe.
According to IBM over 90% of all attacks occur by merely visiting infected
websites - I've experienced the attacks myself - and I thank myself everyday
for having developed our hardware S Chip products.

Dennis Meharchand
CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.
Cell: 416-618-4622
Tel: 1-800-361-0067, 416-746-6669