Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromise Email Accounts

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 10:59:50 -0600

Also, consider searching the archives of the
HIED-EMAILADMIN () LISTSERV ND EDU list.  There have been many discussions
of this topic on that list.

Jesse

Jesse Thompson wrote:
Hi Richard.  See inline.

Richard Miller wrote:
I am curious how other universities deal with compromise email
accounts used to
send out spam.  Student email accounts will inevitably be
compromised.  Even

Emeritus faculty/staff are more prone to compromise than students.  The
"net" generation tends to be more aware of phishing.

with the best efforts, it can happen.  To me the trick is to reduce the
likelihood (and therefore frequency) and reduce the scope of the
resulting
problems.  In particular, I think efforts to combat this can be broken
down
into four major areas:

Prevention
----------
- User education - with thousands of new students each year, this is a
big
  challenge.  How do you accomplish it effectively?

Use multiple methods (email, postal, flyers, news, etc), and keep doing
it (e.g. at the start of each semester).

- An effective anti-spam solution is critical - if phishing messages are
  getting through, it will increase likelihood of compromise.

yep, this is crucial.  Count on 1% of your users will respond to a phish
that makes it past spam filters.  Hold your vendor accountable.

- Any other ways of preventing accounts from being compromised?

Scan your logs for any outbound messages destined for any of these
addresses.  Force a password reset for any reply to a phish.
http://code.google.com/p/anti-phishing-email-reply/

Find ways to make it easier for users to identify legitimate email, so
that they can more easily identify suspicious email.  For instance, use
digital signatures.

Detection
---------
- Monitor queue lengths.

yep, but it's already too late by that point.

- What else can be monitored?

Look for changes to the users' personal webmail signatures.  The
spammers like to put the content of their spam into the signatures.

Identify suspect IPs (most are in Nigeria) and scan your logs for
suspicious activity from those IPs.

Containment
-----------
- Do you allow students to use IMAP/POP/SMTP or are they required to
use a
  web interface (this can potentially reduce the scope of attacks)?

Web is the most common vector, surprisingly.

- Do you throttle outbound email and if so, how do you accomplish this?

We looked into this, but concluded that we would have to set the limit
so high for normal usage that it wouldn't effectively thwart spammers.

- Do you scan outbound mail for spam?  If so, how do you deal with false
  positives?

Rate-limit outbound spam instead of rejecting it.  We allow 50 outbound
spam messages per hour per user before we reject.

- Any other containment measures?

Cleanup
-------
- Cleanup will largely depend on the mail architecture used.
- Disable compromised account.

Prevent the user from resetting to an old password.

- Clean out mail delivery queue
- Any other advice?

After disabling the account, make sure there aren't any active webmail
sessions open by the spammer.

Jesse

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison