Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromise Email Accounts

From: Mike Iglesias <iglesias () UCI EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 07:52:43 -0800

Richard Miller wrote:
- Do you allow students to use IMAP/POP/SMTP or are they required to use a
  web interface (this can potentially reduce the scope of attacks)?

The vast majority of our spamming incidents have been through our webmail
system (Squirrelmail).  I can't recall any spamming incidents thru mail
clients.  It looks like the spammers have some kind of automated system setup
to send mail thru the Squirrelmail interface.  Most of the incidents
originated in Nigeria.

We use MailScanner and Spamassassin with some custom rules to catch most of
the phishing email coming in to campus, and anything that is detected as
phishing is quarantined until it is looked at.  Obviously, radical changes in
the phishing text can get thru, but we are working on other rules to catch
typical phishing phrases rather than specific text.

We also monitor the Squirrelmail logs for suspicious activity and have been
somewhat successful in catching spamming runs shortly after they start.

--
Mike Iglesias                          Email:       iglesias () uci edu
University of California, Irvine       phone:       949-824-6926