Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Password Management for Students

From: Joey Rego <jrego () LYNN EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 15:32:09 -0400

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was hoping someone could lend me some assistance.  We are trying to
make some changes to our password policy for our students and we were
hoping to find out what other institutions are doing.  So here are our
questions.

*         How did  you decide on the policy?

*         How are the students resetting the password once it expires?

*         Are you notifying your students when their password is
expiring via an email and is this process automated?

*         Does anyone responding use UPortal using Active Directory for
user authentication and how they are notifying the users that their
account is expired or expiring through UPortal?

Thanks for your help in advance

Joey Rego

Lynn University