Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical Security - How many IT Departments have Restricted Access?

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 16:09:08 -0700

Hi Sean,

 Our IT areas are open during business hours, but every open door is staffed. Staff will confront any guests, and when
staff is not present they lock the door.

I'd like to hear back from IT professionals at other universities, to see where our department sits in comparison to
the norm: is >access to your IT department restricted?  If so, how is that access restricted?  If your department is
not physically secured, >what kinds of problems have you run into?

 I think it may be helpful to think in terms of how your institution handles physical security. What are your Financial
Aid areas like? How about your cashiers? What about your Finance department? Every department/academic service has
different needs, but these examples should give you an idea for your institution's risk tolerance and general approach
to physical security.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College