Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

CORRECTION & BoF - - - RE: FTC Delays Enforcement of ID Theft Red Flag Rule Until May 1, 2009

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 16:32:50 -0600

Note that the suspended enforcement only applies to the Red Flags Rule
and not the Notice of Address Discrepancy Rule as I originally reported.
The following is from the FTC enforcement policy statement issued today:

        The delay in enforcement is limited to the Identity Theft Red
Flags Rule (16 CFR 681.2), and does not extend to the rule regarding
address discrepancies applicable to users of consumer reports (16 CFR
681.1), or to the rule regarding changes of address applicable to card
issuers (16 CFR 681.3).

Also, I have had a few questions about the BoF at the EDUCAUSE
conference next week.  We will hold the BoF on Thursday from 4:55-6:10
p.m. in Room W414D at the Convention Center.  I also expect that it will
be a topic of discussion at the Policy and Law Discussion Session on
Wednesday at that same time.

Thanks,

-Rodney