Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Banner Access Security

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:57:42 -0700

Hi Everyone,

 We implemented our Banner ERP system in 1999, and our permissions
scheme for access to Banner has become a bit convoluted over the years.
We are looking to redesign our process, and would like to identify some
best practices other institutions are successfully using.

 We are looking at our Banner permissions process from beginning to end:
from how an end-user requests and is authorized for access, to how
access is architected and managed, to audit procedures and risk
management. We have the bigger pieces already in place (e.g. data
classification, data stewardship, etc), so we are looking at ways to
specifically implement our practices to Banner. Any and all advice and
suggestions are welcome. Thanks! :)

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College