Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RSA SecurID

From: "Mclaughlin, Kevin (mclaugkl)" <mclaugkl () UCMAIL UC EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 14:12:04 -0400

Hi Chris:
A member of our local CSO roundtable, the CSO from the E.W. Scripps company, gave a presentation on a two factor
product called Phone Factor.  We are starting our evaluation of the product now but it seems to be much cheaper than
other hardware (token) solutions and it is pretty slick in how it works.  The downside is that the person logging in
has to have a phone number on file, and be near that phone, that the authentication server can call.   Basically you
login and then the server calls your number and ask you to push the pound key.  You push the pound key and you are
authenticated.  E.W. Scripps runs Juniper’s VPN and says it ties in nicely with that product as well.
I don’t have any first-hand knowledge as yet but will send you some of the data points once we gather them.
Note – When I was at  Procter & Gamble we used RSA’s token solution and were very happy with that but it tended to be a
bit expensive for the infrastructure.
-Kevin

Kevin L. McLaughlin
MS,CISM, CISSP, GLSC, PMP, ITIL Manager Certified
Director, Information Security
University of Cincinnati