Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Free software unveiled to help track lost laptops - University of Washington

From: "Fowler, Steve" <steve.fowler () OREGONSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:30:56 -0700

How about we test this out.

-----Original Message-----
From: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
[mailto:SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU] On Behalf Of Jeff Holden
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:18 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Free software unveiled to help track lost laptops - University
of Washington

It looks very promising.  It runs as a windows service so the laptop has to be booted
and connected to a network for at least 30 minutes to get any information.   I installed
it on my laptop to test out and it works as promised.   In its current form it would be
a nightmare to mass deploy this.  We would have to manually install it on every computer
and have to keep track of thousands of files that are needed to access the recovery
information.  Also I would want this to immediately send an update when the computer
boots up and then pseudo randomly, as all our machines require domain logins, the thief
is probably not going to keep the machine on for long before powering off and
reinstalling an OS.  The fact that it works on Mac, Linux and XP is nice.  The other
nice thing is this is open source so it should be possible to add the needed
functionality to make it an enterprise solution.

Thanks,
Jeff Holden, CISSP, RHCE
Manager, Network & Data Security
Mt. San Antonio College
(909) 594-5611 X5017

Connie Sadler <csadler11 () GMAIL COM>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>

07/17/2008 08:42 AM
Please respond to
The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>

SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
cc
Subject
[SECURITY] Free software unveiled to help track lost laptops - University of Washington

Ok, I'm VERY interested in what you all think of this. We've been working with the
University and Medical School to bring in a lo-jack type of software, but after seeing
this for free, I'm wondering if there is anyone on this list who knows more about it.

http://www.scmagazineus.com/Free-software-unveiled-to-help-track-lost-laptops/article/11
2415/?DCMP=EMC-SCUS_Newswire
<http://www.scmagazineus.com/Free-software-unveiled-to-help-track-lost-laptops/article/1
12415/?DCMP=EMC-SCUS_Newswire>

Thanks!

--
Connie

Connie Sadler, CISO
Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford