Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Free software unveiled to help track lost laptops - University of Washington

From: Jeff Holden <JHolden () MTSAC EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 10:17:33 -0700

It looks very promising.  It runs as a windows service so the laptop has
to be booted and connected to a network for at least 30 minutes to get any
information.   I installed it on my laptop to test out and it works as
promised.   In its current form it would be a nightmare to mass deploy
this.  We would have to manually install it on every computer and have to
keep track of thousands of files that are needed to access the recovery
information.  Also I would want this to immediately send an update when
the computer boots up and then pseudo randomly, as all our machines
require domain logins, the thief is probably not going to keep the machine
on for long before powering off and reinstalling an OS.  The fact that it
works on Mac, Linux and XP is nice.  The other nice thing is this is open
source so it should be possible to add the needed functionality to make it
an enterprise solution.

Thanks,
Jeff Holden, CISSP, RHCE
Manager, Network & Data Security
Mt. San Antonio College
(909) 594-5611 X5017

Connie Sadler <csadler11 () GMAIL COM>
Sent by: The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
07/17/2008 08:42 AM
Please respond to
The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>

SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
cc

Subject
[SECURITY] Free software unveiled to help track lost laptops - University
of Washington

Ok, I'm VERY interested in what you all think of this. We've been working
with the University and Medical School to bring in a lo-jack type of
software, but after seeing this for free, I'm wondering if there is anyone
on this list who knows more about it.

http://www.scmagazineus.com/Free-software-unveiled-to-help-track-lost-laptops/article/112415/?DCMP=EMC-SCUS_Newswire

Thanks!

--
Connie

Connie Sadler, CISO
Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford