Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Media Shredders

From: "Perry, Jeff" <perry () KU EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:43:27 -0500

We have actually used both Shred-it and Iron Mountain over the years.
We are looking at providing a local drop-off service in addition to "for
a fee" vendor pickup options.  We have found that if we bill or charge
units for this service directly they are more likely to just shove the
media in a cabinet or closet for another 5 years (or worse, put it in
the trash).   We have also found that various contract vendors takes
some media types and not others, which really complicates the decisions
our typical campus office staff have to make (What is this "thingy" and
which vendor takes it?).  Our goal is to lower the bar for our users on
campus to allow them to drop off "Media" at a few central locations
where it will be securely stored.  What we can destroy, wipe, degauss,
shred onsite we will, what can't be effectively (or economically) done
onsite will be bundled and tagged for p/u by one of our certified
disposal companies.   In this case we are primarily talking about
non-paper media (flash drives, tapes, HDs, CD's, floppies etc) as we
already have a fairly large secure paper shredding service provided by a
NAID certified company.

Your points below are very good.  For highly sensitive items we either
outsource it for liability protection, or perform the work in-house
using a standard chain of custody model witnessed by a member of our IT
Security Staff and the owner/steward of the media.

The firms that provide paper shredding services, where they bring in
locked bins of various types, often will take CD/DVD/VHS, and floppies.
That way users don't need a separate process for paper and those types
of media
Unfortunately we changed contract vendors and our new vendor no longer
allows mixed waste streams.  They will of course take it for a fee as a
special pickup but the costs are high and for a campus our size it's a
complicated process that relies on all staff to make the right call,
store it the right way, and be able to afford the service (as a direct
invoice cost).  Again our goal is to take up %95 of digital/analog media
and make it "as easy as returning a movie" for the end user.

Other suggestions, thoughts, or advice is always welcome.

Thanks,
Jeff