Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Media Shredders

From: Allison Dolan <adolan () MIT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 09:19:45 -0400

You may want to consider a 3rd party destruction service for CD/DVD/
Floppies - it may even be easier/less expensive, especially if you
have large volume

In my work re: protecting personally identifiable information (e.g.
SSN, and other data breach type info), I've learned that media
destruction isn't quite as straightforward as I thought.  There is,
for example, a National Association for Information Destruction,
complete with a certification process.

Certainly a lot depends on  how thoroughly you are required to
destroy information.  In one of their papers, they identify the
following concerns with in house destruction
-- typically do not qualify as certified destruction programs,
including absence of witnessed destruction
-- typically use  lowly compensated folks, who haven't had background
checks, and who may find value in taking items instead of destroying
them
-- waste product less likely to be recycled
-- cost, noise, potential mess
-- less likely to be scheduled, which could run afoul of e-discovery

The firms that provide paper shredding services, where they bring in
locked bins of various types, often will take CD/DVD/VHS, and
floppies.  That way users don't need a separate process for paper and
those types of media

Cintas is one of the few nationally NAID certified organizations -
see  http://www.cintas.com/DocumentManagement/DocumentShredding.aspx
(you can click on the 3 little picture icons to see the 2 types of
bins)  They provide the bins free of charge; the charge comes when
they take it away - which could be weekly, monthly, quarterly -
whatever works.)  Their website explicitly says they take CDs in with
the paper.

Rent-a-Crate has also moved into this area, with special higher ed
pricing (I don't know if you have to be part of the consortium) - $15
to take away a bin.  http://www.rentacrate.com/shredx.php  Their
website doesn't explicitly say they take mixed media - that may
depend on the destruction equipment in your area.  They also have an
'e-scrape' service for drives and other HW.

Allison F. Dolan
Program Director, Protecting Personally Identifiable Information
NE49-3021 (mail stop)  NE49-3037p (office)
(617) 252-1461
http://mit.edu/infoprotect