Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dealing with s-p-a-m "backscatter"

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:41:33 -0500

Jeff Giacobbe wrote:
Colleagues-

Like many of you, we have been experiencing an increase in spam-related
"backscatter" (non-delivery notifications sent to the victim of a
spoofed email address)

The incidents are still few in number, thankfully, but when they do
occur to one of our users they often receive *thousands* of non-delivery
notifications, usually within a 24hr period. The onslaught of messages
is not only a nuisance but is often crippling to the victim as they wade
through all that junk in their Inbox.

I have followed various discussions on this topic but so far have not
seen a clear solution other than simply blocking all inbound
"non-delivery" notifications (and presumably other related SMTP
diagnostic messages) at our gateway. While that would certainly fix the
immediate problem, it would also mean legitimate non-delivery messages
(i.e. a simple typo in an address) would never get sent back to our users.

Has anyone come up with a more creative way to block the spam
backscatter while allowing the legit non-delivery SMTP notifications to
come through?

Nope.  Luckily it's short lived for each victim.

There's ips.backscatterer.org, which you could use to reject DSNs from
anyone listed on the DNSBL.  However there are a lot of legitimate
servers on that list.  Most notably: Google.

Blocking all DSNs would be a bad idea.

Jesse

Thanks,

Jeff Giacobbe
Director of Systems, Security, Networking
Montclair State University

--
  Jesse Thompson
  Email/IM: jesse.thompson () doit wisc edu