Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Dealing with s-p-a-m "backscatter"

From: Wes Young <wcyoung () BUFFALO EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:00:05 -0400

http://www.postfix.org/BACKSCATTER_README.html

It's not much, but it's a start.

On Jul 15, 2008, at 10:42 PM, Jeff Giacobbe wrote:

Colleagues-

Like many of you, we have been experiencing an increase in spam-
related "backscatter" (non-delivery notifications sent to the victim
of a spoofed email address)

The incidents are still few in number, thankfully, but when they do
occur to one of our users they often receive *thousands* of non-
delivery notifications, usually within a 24hr period. The onslaught
of messages is not only a nuisance but is often crippling to the
victim as they wade through all that junk in their Inbox.

I have followed various discussions on this topic but so far have
not seen a clear solution other than simply blocking all inbound
"non-delivery" notifications (and presumably other related SMTP
diagnostic messages) at our gateway. While that would certainly fix
the immediate problem, it would also mean legitimate non-delivery
messages (i.e. a simple typo in an address) would never get sent
back to our users.

Has anyone come up with a more creative way to block the spam
backscatter while allowing the legit non-delivery SMTP notifications
to come through?

Thanks,

Jeff Giacobbe
Director of Systems, Security, Networking
Montclair State University

--
Wes Young
Network Security Analyst