Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommendations for media storage

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:03:17 -0400

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 10:40:26 EDT, Clifford Collins said:
We are interested in solutions for storing media in our building that could
survive a disaster.

First, quantify *what* disasters you're trying to defend against.  Are you
trying to protect media that's in the same building as the originals? Then
your biggest issue is probably fire.  If you're storing media in *this*
building that is off-site copies of data in some *other* building, then
you're only worried about disasters that might befall *both* buildings,
at which point you're thinking hurricane/tornado/earthquake.

Remember to keep in mind that in many/most fires, much of the monetary
damage is caused by the water, not the fire...

And also, you *really* want to make sure that you have at least one off-site
copy of the data - I'd rather have a second copy of my data 2 miles away in a
regular transport case in a climate-controlled area (locked closet in office
space is quite possibly good enough) than have the second copy two floors away
in a high-price safe/vault.