Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing Attacks version 2

From: "David L. Wasley" <dlwasley () EARTHLINK NET>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:16:19 -0700

Historical note: this sounds like a modern variant of a very old
attack.  Back in the time sharing era, a malevolent user could write
a program that emulated the system login screen and leave it running
on a vacant terminal.  A naive user would try to log in, get an error
message, and then the real login screen would appear.  Meanwhile
their userid/password was emailed to the perpetrator in the
background.

In the modern case, the perpetrator should redirect the victim to the
real webmail page after capturing his/her credential.

        David (old guy ;-))

-----